This is the second year that I've made gingerbread cookies THAT ARE ALSO TYPE SPECIMENS. Last year I did numerals, and this year I decided to do two phrases - "Naughty & Nice" and "Santa Snacks"! I also tried royal icing, which tastes insane!? Did everyone know that!? Tart and sweet and all delicious. Also because I am who I am I ate a few too many glyphs to capture all the phrases at once! This was super fun and festive! Thanks as always to Victoria Rushton and her article on Alphabettes!
I was so pumped to tackle my first ever commissioned sign paintings! Diamond and Neil were so delightful to work with. I started with Neil's initial design for the event and developed a funky fresh flared serif finished off with some iridescent medium. Shout out in particular for indulging me with a fun photo shoot! Can't wait to see these in action. Lots of love to the happy couple, it was an honor to be a part of your next step!
AIGA South Carolina: Charleston asked me to create the identity design of a new event called Design Graveyard. It was an incredible night and I got to collaborate with so many talented local people on everything from illustration to event design. One of my favorite parts was creating a custom display face that we were able to use on all the collateral. Although it can seem daunting to design a custom typeface in a little less than a month, the benefit of working with fellow designers is that not having time for kerning and spacing is actually ok because all your collaborators can do that for you as needed! (Eternal apologies to the type design gods because yes, spacing especially should be designed in tandem with letterforms but RULES ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN).
By the time I had created all the letters we needed for signs, etc. I realized that I was more than halfway through the whole alphabet and just went for it! Luckily I have another year to scheme additional display weights like fancy highlights and drop shadows! (and yes, of course, actually kern the damn thing). Given the Dia De Los Muertos theme I began by researching painted letters, looking especially for *actual* signs since there are already so many excellent sign painting inspired typefaces out there. I came across this image on Pinterest (if you know the original artist/ source please let me know), and used that as a jumping off point for painting my own letters. Specifically I was really drawn to the entry strokes, the form of the /A, and the wavy stroke for the top of the /E.
So these rough brush experiments are... let's generously say not that great. But for this particular project, they don't need to be. What I was really exploring is how letterforms are made using the brush strokes I was drawn to in that initial example. As you can see, I added a bit more fluidity to the stroke (compare the /N, for example), and made my letters much wider. This exploration was really important in informing how I construct my vector letterforms without them feeling computer generated. After this it was on to my favorite part: hours and hours of moving point and beziers around on screen :)
Last night I had the amazing fortune of participating in Charleston's Creative Jam with the awesome illustrator/ designer Anna Gloth!
A little background on Creative Jam: it's an event series hosted by Adobe in which teams of 2 (or even people by themselves!) design live for 3 hours based on a theme and compete in a few categories, local creatives give talks about their process, and everyone has a good time! There was food, drinks, SWAG! It was awesome. The speakers - Amy Pastre and Courtney Rowson of SDCO Partners, Tami Boyce, and Marcus Amaker were all so unique and engaging in their own ways. The structure of the event also meant that we got to sit back, relax, and watch them speak before presenting our work! We competed in the graphic design category and our theme was Balance.
Our overall concept was exploring work/life balance, and also the balance between our skills as a type designer (myself) and an illustrator (Anna). We created a composition that merged all of those ideas through fun, bright colors and playful textures.
Using Adobe Capture, RoboFont, and my trusty light table we also were able to create a complete typeface that used all of the shapes we created!
It's been a crazy exciting summer. I illustrated an animation for the first time, followed quickly by doing some illustration work on a second animation! Another project in the works is a Charleston postcard set, which was a delight to do research for and gather inspiration.
Thanks to the power of the internet - and a few Google and Pinterest searches - I came across these incredible postcards from The Boston Public Library. Most of these are listed as being created between 1930 - 1945 but some remind me of 1990s Microsoft Word Art (not even in an insulting way!)
It goes to show that even though a lot has changed, good design is timeless :) I can only hope to emulate the charm of these postcards!